I'll grow old - but I won't grow up.

Monday, January 19, 2009

A Real Tongue Twister

It’s been nasty cold here lately in the Midwest. The kind of temperatures that tell you “give it up, kid, and just stay in bed today.” Fortunately, we’ve been lucky enough to warm up a little bit here in the Omaha area – true, it’s not sunny and 75, but when it’s been 10 below zero, 40 feels pretty nice.

But don’t celebrate Spring yet -- Old Man Winter isn’t done with us yet. Far from it. Here’s a perfect example of what happens when you jump the seasonal gun.

Did you happen to see this article late last week?



Now, I must admit that I have NEVER tried this. Or, at least that I can remember. Who knows – it may be one of those painful, God-awful memories I’ve permanently blocked from my mind, like the time I stepped in dog crap in my Waffle Stompers and couldn’t scrape it out, or my first marriage.

But after a brief survey of those around me, I discovered that yes indeed – several of my closest friends, allies, and even The Lovely Mrs. G – have tried putting their tongue on something frozen and metallic.

As the article so considerably points out, who hasn’t seen “A Christmas Story” to see what happens when you do this? It wasn’t a demonstration, kids – it was a warning! You don’t put your tongue on frozen poles, you don’t ask Santa for a b.b. gun, and you don’t buy leg lamps in the name of “haute couture”.

So let this be a painful lesson to you, kids. Watch where you put your tongue – it might come back to bite you.

And don’t step on any sidewalk cracks, either. Your mother will thank you.

1 Comments:

  • I've done it. And on purpose. But it was before the Christmas Story ever came out.

    By Blogger bahamacow, at 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home